And don’t tell me ‘nothing’ because I don’t want to hear it! Breakfast really is the most important meal of the day folks, and it gives your body the fuel it needs to start the day off right and keep you going all day long. So, on that note, what are the best breakfast foods for sustained energy and brain power throughout the day? Here’s the key: high fiber and high protein.
This week, I want you to really take a look at your breakfast and see where you can make some healthy changes. Let’s start with some common mistakes that people think are smart choices, but that are really just filled with things your body doesn’t need:
- Fruit Smoothie. Ah, the seemingly healthy fruit smoothie. This high-sugar breakfast may give you a good ‘sugar high’ boost to begin with, but it only sets you up for a hard sugar crash later on—causing you to reach for more sugar and carbs mid-morning, and that dangerous cycle can last all day long.
- A Better Option: Replace the sugary fruit juice with almond milk, and add some almond butter or a protein/fiber powder like the Fiber35 FitSmart shakes.
- Bowl of Sugary Cereal. Breakfast eaters, beware! This could be another high-carb disaster if the cereal is low in fiber and high in carbs and sugar.
- A Better Option: Choose a high-fiber cereal and be sure to add plenty of nuts! Fiber helps to regulate blood sugar levels as well as get your digestion moving, and protein provides amino acids that our brains need for optimal function.
- Coffee as Breakfast. I don’t even like to think about all you coffee-for-breakfast people out there, but you know who you are, so listen up! Making a breakfast out of coffee just creates another vicious cycle of having to replenish that caffeine all day long just to get through the day, and that can put added strain on your adrenal glands, which are important for regulating stress responses in the body. Those are two glands you don’t want to wear out!
- A Better Option: For some people, one cup of coffee a day isn’t the worst thing in the world. But please, don’t replace your breakfast with it. Take a few extra minutes to do breakfast right. You absolutely need a high-fiber, high-protein breakfast. Take it from me—it will go a long way toward maintaining energy and brain power throughout the day.
So there you have it –take a good look at what you’ve been eating for breakfast, and if it’s not high in fiber or protein, make a healthy change starting now!